Saturday, October 07, 2006

Friday Five (a day late): Civic Duties

(Is it gauche to do the Friday Five on Saturday? I'll try to be more timely.)
1) How old were you when you voted for the first time? Well, I distinctly remember registering when I was 18, but I don't remember voting before the 1976 presidential election, when I would have been 20.
2) What was the contest at the top of the ballot? See above. I proudly filled out my absentee ballot for Jimmy Carter, under the watchful eye of the college registrar. (I think it was his responsibility to gather and mail the students' absentee ballots. He wasn't so watchful that he was observing how I filled it out.)
3) Can you walk to your polling place? No, it's at an elementary school a couple of miles away. But when we lived in California, our polling place was across the street from my campus and only a block from our apartment. In those days I served as precinct judge several times, which was mostly interesting and fun.
4) Have you ever run for public office? No, and can't imagine doing so. I like my privacy too much. That's why it took me so long to start a blog. :-)
5) Have you run for office in a club or school or on a board? In sixth grade, I ran for president of the student council. My opponent was a boy on whom I had a big crush. Inexplicably (at least to my adult self), I voted for him instead of for myself. I lost by one vote.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Nope, don't think it is too late to play Friday5 on Saturday! Funny story about you running for student council in 6th grade. Sounds like something that would happen to me!

St. Casserole said...

What do you mean too late?
You have untill next Friday unless you need more time. I haven't played yet...