Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Books read in 2008

As my MIL would say, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger, but thought I'd take a few minutes to share this list.

Schuyler's Monster by Robert Rummel-Hudson. Some years ago I began following Rob Rummel-Hudson's former blog, Darn Tootin', a source of often thoughtful, sometimes acerbic, occasionally obnoxious commentary on life, work, music, and the universe. After his daughter Schuyler was diagnosed with polymicrogyria, a rare cerebral malformation leaving her unable to speak, Rob became her champion and her voice. His accounts of life as Schuyler's dad are moving, often very funny, and occasionally heartbreaking. Several years' worth of his blog entries have been edited and compiled in this book. Highly recommended to anyone interested in children and families with special needs, or anyone who can testify that life is what happens while you're making other plans (I guess that would be all of us).

Christianity for the Rest of Us by Diana Butler Bass. Already being pretty sure that the mainline church was alive and well, at least in some quarters, I didn't get a lot of new revelations from this one. I may go back and look through it again.

Take This Bread by Sara Miles. A wonderful testimony to the Holy Spirit, who can choose and call anyone, anytime, usually to that person's amazement. I didn't get to participate in the RGBP discussion, but this book pushes and prods me to remember that there are no limits on God's faithfulness or on what God can do, not to mention the ways in which the thread of God's love and call runs throughout our lives, forming a pattern that is only clear in retrospect. This book is a keeper.

Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana by Anne Rice. I finished it already! I could barely put it down. If you enjoyed Out of Egypt, you'll like this one too.

Two books by Buechner are still on the nightstand, as is A People's History of the Civil War: Struggles for the Meaning of Freedom by David Williams.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for catching us up on your reading! I couldn't get into the first Rice book, but perhaps I will try again.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I haven't been reading much lately. Some of those books sound interesting.

Lori said...

I check in on Schuyler from time to time from the link on your blog. It's an amazing tale. Haven't read the book, but I plan to.

chartreuseova said...

I enjoyed Christianity For the Rest of Us. No earth shattering revelations for me either, but it made me feel good to read about churches flourishing at a time the church I was attending was not.

I'm not familiar with the other titles.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been doing much reading lately, but have wanted to check out Anne Rice's books for a while. Thanks for the reminder!

Di said...

Pls. report back on the Civil War book! I've been on a history, laws, and politcs kick lately!

soul and culture said...

Take This Bread is one of my current reads, and Buechner is one of my faves. Haven't tried the Anne Rice books, but maybe i need to check them out.