Monday, April 28, 2008

Family ties and funeral food

My dear cousins are here, from Tennessee and Alabama. The last time I saw either of them was at their daddy's funeral, eight years ago. Their aunt (on their mother's side--not related to me) "went on" Friday night, at the age of 89. Most of her children and grandchildren live here, but I've never known them. Last night her daughter graciously welcomed the Scientist and me to her home, where the usual Southern "everybody bring food and sit around and eat and talk" funeral-related rituals were in progress. What a lovely family--I came away with a whole group of "kissin' cousins" (and yes, we did). Tonight is the visitation and tomorrow is the memorial service. My cousins are coming to stay at our house tomorrow night before flying home on Wednesday. Think we'll get any sleep?

Why does it take a funeral to get cousins together? There've been weddings, too, and new babies, but it seems a funeral is the only event that spurs everyone to travel. And as always, the laughter that comes from being together and sharing memories flows as freely as the tears.

Just for the record, there was not a scrap left of my broccoli salad.

3 c. broccoli florets, blanched with a little water in the microwave for three minutes then drained
15 pieces of very crisp bacon, crumbled
1/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. chopped pecans
2/3 c. raisins (I bet golden raisins would be good in this)

Toss these together and mix with this dressing:
2 T. sugar (or Splenda)
3 T. apple cider vinegar
1 c. mayonnaise

Don't save this for an occasion--share it with your loved ones any time.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy, even without the bacon :)

Jan said...

I'd rather not have the bacon, but the salad sounds good, esp. because I'm hungry and I've stayed on my diet all day.

Terri said...

I love broccoli salad, thanks for the recipe!

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

omg, because I'm 12 ...

I grew up in the Ozarks where they still have hillbillies. "Kissin' cousins" were the cousins you could legally marry (or have sex with)... I'm hoping you really "didn't"

;)

Lori said...

That's a great sounding recipe. It'll be really good this summer.

And I know what you mean about funerals bringing family together. The last time I saw any of my cousins was at my dad's funeral a year and a half ago. And then 12 years before that at my grandma's funeral.

(tee hee at the Vicar)

don't eat alone said...

I love this salad -- and it's even better after it sits for a day or two.

Peace,
Milton

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

LOL @ Vicar

I love that salad....I hope you don't mind that I will be picking out the onion and raisins. ~grins~

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Yum. The salad sounds delish. I will have to save it for an occasion though because my husband can't eat broccoli and it will be way too much for me alone. Drat.

zorra said...

Vicar: uh, no. :)

This IS really good the next day, but we seldom have any left by then!

Rev Kim said...

mmm, that salad sounds delicious and perfect for summer!

soul and culture said...

One of my favorite salads.

Check out Kate Campbell's song, Funeral Food. If you download it, make sure you listen to it all the way to the end...

Mary Beth said...

Yum yum. MMMM. thanks!

crosswick said...

Yum, Zorra! Kinda cosmic cuz my friend, Annie, and I did a catering stint years ago and served this. Always a crowd pleaser.
Family and connections take on new meaning as we get on in years. (ew) Bohemia!

Diane M. Roth said...

ooh, that sounds like just the thing for my upcoming salad luncheon. Thanks!

Stratoz said...

the cousin I was closest to "back in the day" has lost his job in California, and with no luck there, is moving back to PA.

I hope this inspires me to connect quickly after his return

spookyrach said...

Oh, yum! I love that salad.

We never had it at any of our funerals, seeing how it involves neither peas nor velveeta.