Friday, May 16, 2008
Friday Five: Grand Tour
Songbird says, Name five places that fall into the following categories:
1) Favorite Destination -- someplace you've visited once or often and would gladly go again
That would be Tuscany. The people, the scenery, the little towns, the vineyards, the wine, the food...ah the food....
2) Unfavorite Destination -- someplace you wish you had never been (and why)
I won't say I wish I had never been to Cozumel, because I have very fond memories of our honeymoon there, nearly 26 years ago. In those days it was a quiet little island where you could ride a scooter to the beach for the day, then come back to the peaceful village of San Miguel for a simple dinner. Now it's Tourist Trap Central, and although I was not surprised, I was disappointed at how the years have changed it. So I'll say that I wish I hadn't seen that, and that I wish it could have stayed the way it used to be--but nothing ever does, does it?
3) Fantasy Destination -- someplace to visit if cost and/or time did not matter
I would love a long trip through Greece, with plenty of time for the Scientist to explore antiquities and archaeological sites to his heart's content, followed by a leisurely cruise around the Greek isles. Santorini, anyone?
4) Fictional Destination -- someplace from a book or movie or other art or media form you would love to visit, although it exists only in imagination
Well, I tried to think of something other than Narnia or Middle Earth, since it seems that's what nearly everyone else said, but I can't come up with anything else. In search of inspiration, I asked the Scientist where he would go, and he quickly answered, "Narnia. Or Middle Earth, of course." Oh well. Either would do.
5) Funny Destination -- the funniest place name you've ever visited or want to visit
Hushpuckena, Mississippi, and its near neighbor Alligator come to mind, but I think my favorite is a little community about 60 miles north of here: Cut 'n' Shoot, Texas.