Singing Owl tagged me for this meme while I was away; I told her I would do it, and I just remembered...So can I come up with seven things?
1. When I was ten or eleven years old, I wanted to be a veterinarian. Our vet let me hang around his clinic on Saturday mornings to observe what went on. After a few months my short attention span ran out, and that was the end of that. Years later I realized that although I love animals, I could never have passed (much less understood) the organic chemistry, etc. that I would have had to take in a pre-vet curriculum. My brain is totally Arts and Humanities.
2. The summer after fifth grade, I won a blue ribbon in dance at YMCA camp for a dance we performed to "Georgy Girl." Yes, I still remember some of the steps. No, I will not show you.
3. I have unusually short toes. I used to think that other people had creepy long toes, then I realized theirs were normal.
4. I am a "miracle baby." My parents, aged 43 and 41, were married for 20 years with no children--then they got a midlife surprise!
5. I only spent two weeks in first grade. Daddy had already taught me to read, and I was bored to tears with "Look, look. Oh, oh, oh." (Remember?)
6. I got to see the Beatles in Memphis on their last American tour, in 1966. Every August 19 I remember that concert, the longsuffering moms who brought us, how my friend Joy and I screamed, and how the boys in our group told us, "Shut up." But we didn't.
7. When we were kids, Joy and I were prolific authors. We dashed off numerous small volumes on a variety of topics, each titled The Best Book Ever. Alas, all have been lost, but I think I still have the manuscript of The Great American Novel, which we completed in junior high. We were also cutting-edge filmmakers. For my fiftieth birthday last year Joy sent me a VHS copy of our entire Super 8 oeuvre, including the surreal Tactis Tietacks and the dramatic Zorra's Sordid Adventures in an East Village Crashpad, both ca. 1969. (No, the adventures weren't really sordid. That was just to increase the box office.)
I'm not going to tag anyone, but let me know if you play!