Songbird invites us to list five things we love (or don't!) about summer. Easy!
1. The food! Sweet peaches, berries, cherries, and--best of all--our very own backyard tomatoes. Nothing can compare with those.
2. (A corollary to #1) Grilling! And not just meat, delicious as that is. I'll post a fabulous grilled squash salad recipe later today.
3. Trips to the beach.
4. The hypnotic call-and-response of the cicadas and peepers on summer evenings.
5. Summer music--reminds me of younger years, when summer really was a carefree time. "Hot Fun in the Summertime" will be playing in my head for the rest of the day.
Honesty compels me to add that there are two things I absolutely detest about summer:
1. Humidity! And regardless of where you live, if you've never been to Houston in August, trust me, you DON'T know exactly what I'm talking about...and...