Friday, March 19, 2010

RIP Alex Chilton

Memphis musician Alex Chilton died this week at 59. You probably remember him as the lead singer of the Boxtops ("Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane/Ain't got time to take a fast train"), but in the early 70's after the Boxtops broke up he was the leader of Big Star, a great band that in its day was more of a critical than a popular success. Their best songs still sound fine today. I have been listening to my old LP of their album Radio City, singing along with "September Gurls" and remembering the boy who gave me that album...

I found a recent and very good video of a reunited Big Star performing "September Gurls" in San Francisco a couple of years ago, but I'd rather look at this tribute video and reminisce about life and love (the unrequited variety) in 1974.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Thanks for this reminder.