Friday, September 25, 2009

An autumnal Friday Five

Singing Owl is feeling autumnal (why yes, I do like that word):


Let us fear the LORD our God, who gives autumn and spring rains in season, who assures us of the regular weeks of harvest. Jeremiah 5:23b

The Autumnal Equinox has just come 'round again. I took a look back at our Friday Fives and noted that it always seems to make the Rev Gals and their Pals think of changes.

There is something so nostalgic about this time of year, at least in the Northern Hemisphere. The nights grow cooler, crops are harvested, for some of us the leaves are beginning to change colors. The scent of smoke is in the air, pumpkins are in the stores (or on wagons, or in roadside stands for those of us in the country). I'm thinking of putting away my summer clothes and pulling out the sweaters. And I have a tub of Fall-themed items that my husband just lugged up from the basement. I'm looking for my scarecrow.

For this week, let's share some memories along with some hopes and expectations.

1. Share a Fall memory.
In the heart of the Texas Hill Country there is a hidden nook known as Lost Maples State Park. One of Texas' few stands of bigtooth maples grows there on the banks of the Sabinal River, and in the fall they change colors in a way we don't usually see around here. Twenty years ago, when the Scientist's mom still lived on the edge of the Hill Country, the three of us spent a beautiful fall day wandering through the maples. I think it's time for a return visit.

2. Your favorite Fall clothes--(past or present)?
I love sweaters! I have to restrict my purchases every year, since here there are so few days that we actually need heavy pullover sweaters. A few weeks ago I did allow myself one Shaker knit turtleneck in charcoal heather, on sale. Maybe by December or January the days will be chilly enough for me to wear it!

3. Share a campfire story, song, experience...etc.
I have fond memories of the bonfires and wienie roasts at Girl Scout camp, and I still giggle when I remember the night one girl got a bit too exuberant, bouncing a hot dog on her wire hanger while shouting, "I'm a ROOTIN', TOOTIN'--" ...what? We'll never know, because at that moment her hot dog flew off the hanger and disappeared into the night while twenty girls shrieked with delight. OK, you had to be there--but forty years later, I'm still laughing.

4. What is your favorite thing about this time of year?
I love the first hint of coolness in the morning air, telling us that summer is over and autumn is really on its way. We've been enjoying that this week, with the arrival of our first real cold front on Tuesday. By mid-October we will probably be experiencing my favorite weather, clear days with daytime temperatures in the 70's and evening temperatures in the 50's.

5. What changes are you anticipating in your life, your church, family...whatever...as the season changes and winter approaches?
The Scientist and I are trying to adjust to a big change right now: the first time in twelve years that we have not shared our lives with a dog. How strange it is to come home to an empty house. Our plan for now is to remain dogless until, as dear Dogblogger says, we find the dog who really needs us. But we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our houseguests Angus and Tuesday next weekend--and their humans too, of course! :)

Bonus: What food says "AUTUMN" at your house? Recipes always appreciated.
I love this Cranapple-Walnut Cake from the old Moosewood Cookbook. It's an ideal Thanksgiving dessert for guests who don't care for pumpkin pie. If you are blessed, as we are, with a pecan tree in your back yard, you can substitute pecans for walnuts.

5 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Just catching up with a lot of blogs and sorry to hear about Amie. We are having your October weather here in Maine right now and it is lovely. Do for sure go see those maples!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Ditto to what AK said about our weather, and about dear Arnie. I'm woefully behind in my blog reading. I'm so sorry for your loss. And you need to come up here for a visit. You'd be wearing that charcoal sweater in no time!

RevAnne said...

Yeah, not much use for your charcoal sweater here, either...at least not for me. I'm hot-natured and love cooler weather and lightweight sweaters.
It was flaming marshmallows flung at my last hot dog roasting party, btw.
Keeping you & yours in my prayers. We're still mourning the loss of my cat 2 years on, and while it gets...different...with time, they always keep their place in your heart. And darn it, here come the tears...I cry whenever anyone's pet dies. The next dog will come. In the meantime, you can adopt a silly-looking WonderMutt. I can't wait for his fur to grow back out!
Grace and peace to you!

DogBlogger said...

We are very much looking forward to our visit. Earlier today, Angus climbed up in The Alpha's lap, and we told him we hope he will climb in your lap like that next weekend!

zorra said...

I hope so too!