This is Mindy's alphabet meme: she will assign you a letter, and you think of ten things you love that begin with that letter. Go see Mindy if you want to play. My letter is N, and here's my list:
1. Nights at home, spent quietly with my little family (human and canine). Those are in short supply this time of year, and all the more precious when we do have one.
2. Night, O Holy. We are rehearsing a lovely choral arrangement of it for Christmas Eve (both morning and midnight), and have a wonderful soprano on the solo, who will sing it just right. My mother, who died in 1991, loved this song, and whenever we sing it I remember how much she enjoyed it. Like Dogblogger's Typist, I know something about trying not to choke up in choir.
3. Nuts, especially our own pecans. Try this if you're getting tired of sweets: Melt a stick of butter or margarine and add 4 tsp. Worcestershire, 1 T. garlic salt, and 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce. Mix well and stir into 4 c. pecans. Spread the pecans out on a rimmed cookie sheet or large flat pan and toast at 300 degrees for about ten minutes. Watch closely and stir occasionally; they can burn quickly. As soon as they darken, you can take them out. Cool on paper towels. I plan to make several batches of these for the neighbors.
4. The Scientist's 1999 Nissan pickup, still going strong at 108,000 miles.
5/6. Willie Nelson and Nanci Griffith. It's a Texas thing.
7. The Neverending Story, one of our favorite movies. A couple of weeks ago we watched it for the first time in about twenty years. Oh! That reminds me of:
9. News of faraway friends and family. I love reading all of those Christmas letters--really.
10. Me, usually. My name starts with N. I'm still learning to love myself.